Q: My fiancee lives in Britain and we plan to be married in the U.S. I have been advised that the best way to get her here is to petition for an alien fiancee visa. How long would this take to be issued? 

A: You are correct that there is a special category of visa for the fiancee of a U.S. citizen, called a K-1 visa. To obtain a K-1 visa, the U.S. citizen must file a petition with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service in the United States which takes a month or two for approval. Once it is approved, the fiancee abroad must apply to a U.S. Consulate for the actual visa. Depending upon which country the fiancee lives in, the time period to obtain the visa can also take a month or two. To qualify for the visa, you must proof that your relationship is a bona fide one and that you have sufficient financial resources to support your fiancee. Your fiancee must also submit a police clearance report and a medical exam to the U.S. Consulate before receiving the visa. Once the visa is received, you must marry within 90 days of your fiancee's entry into the United States and then apply for permanent residence status.