If you can afford to invest US$ one million, $500,000 in some cases, in a business in the United States which results in ten new jobs, you can obtain permanent resident status. If you make the investment and continue it for a period of two years and create the ten new jobs, you can obtain a permanent resident card. This permits you and your immediate family (spouse and minor children) to enter the United States as immigrants and do any lawful work or business here for as long as you choose. Eventually you may become a citizen after five years of permanent resident status.

Special Provisions Pertaining To Russians

To prevent the spread of weapons and military technology, the United States has made available a selective number of visas for Soviet scientists, engineers and technicians to enter the United States. If you believe this applies to you, send full details with curriculum vitae to the address listed below.

Special Status for Residents of Taiwan

The United States has a special treaty with Taiwan permitting Taiwan persons to make investments in the United States and obtain a non-immigrant visa status. This is currently known as E-2 or Treaty Investor. Investor and family may stay in America so long as they have the investment. The businesses into which investments may be made are many but seem to be limited to real estate, real estate development, hotels, motels, apartment buildings, restaurants, dry cleaning establishments, and similar industries.

Commonly Asked Immigration Question

Why does it take so long?

It takes a long time because the government works slowly and because two or three different government agencies must approve the case. Also, it depends upon how you are establishing eligibility for immigration. Eligibility for immigration means whether or not you are qualified.

What are the Qualifications?

You qualify if you have an appropriate relationship with the U.S. citizen. This relationship refers to spouse, parent, child over 21, brother or sister. These cases move quickly, often less than six months. Immigration based upon a U.S. citizen, brother or sister may be abolished from law during the current session of Congress. And so, if you have a U.S. citizen brother or sister and the petition has not been filed, it probably should be filed before the pending legislation goes through. However, those petitions are so backed up (about 15 years) that in many cases, it is next to useless to have one. Sometimes, it is better than nothing.

Is employment an option?

The more common way of establishing immigration for persons who do not have close relatives who are U.S. citizens is through an offer of employment. Such an offer of employment must involve a job that requires either two years of training or experience which the alien has.

What are the employment qualifications?

You can find out if you are qualified by asking the following questions: Does it take two years to learn how to do the job which is offered or, alternatively, can you do the job which if offered only if you have two years of training. So, it is either two years of training or two years of experience that are required to be able to do the job. The next question is whether the alien has such training or has such experience.
If the answer to any of the above questions is no, then the person is not eligible for immigration based upon an offer of employment.

Waivers for employment

There are some cases in which the offer of employment requirement may be waived. These are referred to as national interest waiver cases. Waiver refers to the government giving up the right to have the person have an offer of employment before immigrating.
If it can be shown that the person's qualifications are so special that his or her immigration would be in a national interest to the United States, the offer of employment requirement may be waived and the person may immigrate without an employer having to obtain a clearance from the Department of Labor.
This saves the employer a great deal of inconvenience and expense and also saves the alien similar inconvenience and expense.


Estimated processing times are as follows:
  • Immediate relative - very fast, 6 months or less
  • Spouses of immigrants - four years
  • Siblings of citizens - currently about 15 years
  • Persons with two years of training or experience - 1 1/2 years or less
  • Persons without two years of training or experience - currently about 15 years